October 3, 2011

Guest Post: Trashy Crafter

Stumble Twitter Digg This



My name is Kim and I run Trashy Crafter Blog where I am redefining "Trash" on a daily basis and turning it into fresh and functional items.  Since childhood I have been a crafter, it was passed down to me from my Grandma.  I recently graduated from UCSD with two BA's but find myself passionately in love with upcycled craft and art making.  My goal is to inspire others along the path of life to follow their passions and do what they love.  

I would like to thank Rachel for the opportunity to share a tutorial of mine on the Reduce Reuse and Upcycle blog.  I have so many craft tutorials so it was hard to pick, I decided to share with you how to turn an old dresser drawer into a jewelry organizer.  



I have always been a huge jewelry fanatic, necklaces, bracelets, rings.. I love it all.  Organizing the massive amounts of bling can get out of control at times, so I have been working on getting it all in order, but I want it to be both functional and nice to look at.


About 3 months ago I was driving down an alley and came across some old dresser drawers... so I took them home and broke them apart... Tonight for some reason I was staring at this dresser and glanced over at my pile of necklaces all tangled.... and yes a light bulb went off.


I chew a pack a day... of gum that is.   I love how colorful the boxes are so I collect them all.  I decided to cut them up and use them on the necklace holder....


After cutting the boxes up and making a mosaic style design on one of the sections I realized how colorful it was... I decided to only put it on the bottom ones and on the top out text from the thesaurus.  I also wanted it to have a little more worn personality... so I took a knife to the edges to tear it up a bit.



Using the handles for hanging the necklaces and bracelets is so functional but also crazy cool looking, it turned out even better than I had planned, that's always a bonus.


 I decided to hang my earring frame below it, this will make getting ready in the morning a breeze!

Until Next Time, Upcycle On Everyone!


Thanks, Kim!  What a great idea!  
If you are interested in guest posting at Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle, please email me at 
reuseandupcycle at gmail dot com

0 upcyclers said: