March 9, 2012

Something to Do Tonight!

Stumble Twitter Digg This
Let's get something out in the open right now. I am a total Sci-Fi/Fantasy geek.  I love Star Wars.  LOVE IT.  Ender's Game is one of my most favorite books of all time.  So, read the rest of this post, with that particular grain of salt in mind.


We went to see a preview of John Carter the other night.  I really, really liked it.  I was actually pretty wary about it.  I have come to learn in my sci-fi obsession that when they are good, they are very, very good.  But when they are bad, they are horrid.  Luckily,  John Carter was the former.  We saw it in 3D, which honestly, isn't my very favorite way to watch a movie, but it was okay, because there were no stupid, jump off the screen moments.  It was tastefully done.
While we were there, we learned that John Carter is actually a series of books by Edgar Rice Burrows.  After watching the movie, I really want to go read the book.  The story is really clever and fun, and considering that the book was published in 1912, way ahead of it's time.  
The movie is rated PG-13, mostly because of violence.  There is much alien death, and a decent amount of human death.  There is really no language problems, but I think that the scantily clad princess also plays a role in the rating.  I don't think I would take my kids to see it, not just yet.  Maybe in a couple of years.  
As a whole, I would recommend it to Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Action lovers out there.  My husband enjoyed it as much as I did.  It hits theatres today, just in time for date night!  



Photobucket

0 upcyclers said: