March 30, 2012

Why Fairy Tales are Awesome

Stumble Twitter Digg This
Have I ever discussed my love of fairy tales?  I don't think I have.  Just my geeky love of sci-fi. But really, if you think about it,  the two fit together nicely.  My favorite musical in the whole world?  Into the Woods. If you haven't seen it, I feel sorry for you.  I can't do it justice here, so I will just tell you that it is a little bit like Once Upon a Time, except really not at all.  Just all the fairy tale characters are put together.  And hilarity ensues. And a little bit of terror.  You know. Just enough to make it interesting.
Speaking of which, I love Once Upon a Time. I love Grimm. I love Ella Enchanted.   And when I heard a new Snow White was coming out, I was thrilled. 
So when I was offered tickets to see a preview of Mirror, Mirror, I totally jumped at the chance and brought my 7 and 9 year old along for the ride.  I gotta tell you, none of us were disappointed.  I will give you this: my girls are incredibly easy to please when it comes to movies.  They loved it, but they love most things involving a princess, an evil queen and all manner of fantastic dresses/costumes.  

I am a bit harder to please.  But I. Loved. It.  It was so much fun.  Julia Roberts as the evil queen is fantastic.  It's one of those great movies that has one liners for the adults and plenty of tastefully done slapstick for the kids.  It is your basic Snow White story, with a few advantageous twists.  Twists, that I think that you might appreciate. I did, at least.  
My girls really enjoyed it. There were a couple of intense moments that they both handled pretty well, but I don't think that my 3 and 4 year old will be seeing this one anytime soon.  Both are fairly sensitive to scary, and there are few scary moments.  It is rated PG, so be sure to take that into consideration when you're taking your kids.  

Mirror, Mirror hits theatres today.  Take your family, make a night of it!  


1 upcyclers said:

Gayle said...

We took our whole family to it (though in hindsight I wish we'd gotten a babysitter for the 2 youngest as they whined or wandered around the movie theater). I loved that movie!! Especially the different twist on the old Snow White story.